Information Visualization National Taiwan University
Information can be abstract and needs to be processed so that messages are converted to things that make sense to the receivers. Utilizing various digital tools to visualize information helps us deliver information to our target audience in an intuitive and efficient way.
This course provides an overview about the state of the art in information visualization. The course highlights the principles of producing effective visualizations and introduces practical visualization procedures, including how to visualize information with software and digital tools such as the R package , Tableau, and Google fusion tables.
Specific topics include:
1. The history and background of information visualization;
2. Design principles of information visualization;
3. Data analysis methods and hands-on applications of visualization techniques;
4. Interface design issues in information visualization;
5. Future trends in information visualization.
The course will be delivered through a combination of lectures, presentations, class activities, and discussions.
This course aims to provide students with knowledge of how to effectively visualize information and hands-on experience in visualizing different types of information. The ultimate goal of this course is to provide non-technical students with tools to process, visualize, and analyze information of their own interests (e.g., data collected for their theses).
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Describe the principles of information visualization;
2. Use data analysis methods and visualization tools, such as R, to manage and analyze abstract information;
3. Identify interface design issues in visualization;
4. Apply visualization techniques to specific domains of their own interests.
Online Course Requirement
Department of Library and Information Science,
Graduate Institute of Library and Information Science,
Program For Knowledge Management
Site for Inquiry
Please inquire about the courses at the address below.
Email address: http://www.lis.ntu.edu.tw/en