Modern Physics University of Tsukuba
The course will focus about overview of modern physics aiming at Engineering students.
Students in this course will have introductory concept about wave-particle properties of electromagnetic radiation,
quantum mechanics, properties of atom, molecular structure, statistical physics, and solid state physics.
1. The students are able to explain the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics.
2. The students are able to find the normal modes of coupled oscillators.
3. The students are able to explain the basic idea of modern physics based on quantum theory.
4. The students are able to further learn more advanced subjects such as quantum mechanics, statistical physics, solid-state physics, etc.
Related to 2. Understanding ability of physical phenomena.
Students should have completed Introduction to Single-Variable Calculus I and II, Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra I and II, Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics
20% Class perfrmance, Homework
40% Midterm exam
40% Final Exam
* All exams are closed book.
Online Course Requirement
Lecture is conducted in English.
Hybrid or Others
face-to-face, Online(Asynchronous) and Online(Synchronous) * Absent more than 3 times (classes) without prior notification will be considered fail in the course
* Rules and regulations regarding examination as set forth by University of Tsukuba will be strictly observed.
* All exams are closed book for in-class lecture. In the case of hybrid lecture, all exams are open book.
Site for Inquiry
Please inquire about the courses at the address below.
Contact person: Nobuyuki Sano
Email address: email@example.com
Link to the syllabus provided by the university