Physical Chemistry of Polymer Solutions University of Bordeaux
> Learning objectives are: - Acquiring the basic concepts of polymer solution thermodynamics. - Knowing the characteristic physicochemical variables (size, mass,geometry) and essential properties (viscosity, osmotic pressure,solubility, etc.). Being able to use the experimental techniques whichpermit the measurement of these properties (tonometry, osmometry,viscosimetry, light scattering, etc.).
- Academic level: BSc as well as notions in polymer science andthermodynamics. - Selection criteria: basic knowledge in chemistry and/or physicalchemistry. - Language prerequisites: English or French. - Selection procedure: evaluation of the student's CV
>Evaluation of practical sessions based on results obtained in thelabs and evaluation of the written reports = 30 % of the overall mark - Written final exam: 1h 30 = 50 % of the overall mark - Quiz = 20%of the overall mark.> In case of failure, a second session will be organized for the finalexam, either as a written final exam (3h) or an oral session dependingon the number of failing students= 70% of the final mark. Marks fromthe practical session will be kept from session 1 (30%). This 2ndsession will take place at the end of June.
Course content includes:Part 1: Flory-Huggins theory – Scaling laws> Introduction>Thermodynamics of simple mixtures - Gibbs energy – chemical potential - Ideal solutions, entropycalculation - The regular solution model - Excess parameters. - Solubility and demixtion predictions usingthe Khi parameter - Hildebrand approach > Flory Huggins theory(Polymer solution) - Flory’s questions - Flory’s hypothesis - Flory expression forthe Gibbs energy and the chemical potential - Solubility predictionand phase diagrams - Osmotic pressure > Conformations of isolatedchains - Ideal chain model - Real chain model : Flory calculation > Variousconcentration regimes and their scaling laws - Dilute and semi dilute regime - Scaling law in semi dilutesolutions Part 2 : Characterization of polymer solutions>Introduction: differences with “small” molecules> Limits of the Flory theory - Krigbaum approach: notion of excluded volume > Characterizationmethods for polymers or colloidal solutions> Thermodynamical methods: - Osmometry – mass, solvent quality. Scaling laws predictions -Tonometry - Ebulliometry - Cryoscopy - Advantages and limits ofthese techniques > Hydrodynamical methods: - Size exclusion chromatography Connection with polymer solutionthermodynamicsNumbers of plateau, efficiencyof the columns separation ability> Viscosimetry - Dilute regime: Einstein relation, intrinsic viscosity. - Semi-dilute regime : viscosity – concentration variation > Lightscattering - General expression of the scattered intensity, contrast - Staticlight scattering: RG, MW, second Virial coefficient A2. - Dynamiclight scattering : RH - Examples > Perspectives: differentapplications.
- Lectures (main lectures are taught in French but all written supports are available in English or French): 20 lectures of 1h20. - Exercise session (in French or English): 7 sessions of 1h20. - Practical session (in French or English): 4 sessions of 4 hours. - Tutoring (for non-French speaking persons): 9 session of 1h20. - Teaching supports available on the Moodle platform - 105 Self-study hours: (50 hours private reading, 20 hours exam preparation, 20 hours exercise preparation, 15 hours of preparation/report of practical session.
Online Course Requirement
Duration: 12 weeksLanguage of instruction: EnglishMode of delivery: Face-to-face teaching
Site for Inquiry
Please inquire about the courses at the address below.
Contact person: Jean-Francois Le Meins firstname.lastname@example.org Corinne Jalibertcorinne.email@example.com