Practical Plant Biotechnology University of Tsukuba
Plant cell, tissue and organ cultures for crop improvement will be introduced as conventional biotechnologies. The current status of of genetically modified (GM) crops and the genome editing technology will be introduced.
Competence 1 Systematic expertise
- to understand the theory and application of plant tissue culture technologies.
- to understand the theory and application of technologies of plant molecular breeding and crop genome information.
- To understand concrete examples of crops produced by plant biotechnology and efforts for practical uses.
Competence 2 International expertise
- to understand the roles of plant biotechnology in crop breeding and food production, and can explain the domestic and international situations surrounding this technology.
- can explain the current status of plant biotechnology in international issues such as sustainable food production, global food security and environmental safety.
Aims of this course are to acquire basic and applied knowledge on the plant biotechnology, which is a discipline targeted by Agro-Biological Resource Sciences.
1 Systematic expertise, 2 International expertise
Students will be expected to have successfully completed World Food and Agriculture prior to enrollment in this course.
Basically, we assign a report to you every week and you are to submit it through the manaba by the next class.
The final exam will not be held. In order to be evaluated, report submission of 70% or more is required. We will comprehensively evaluate the submitted reports basing on their quality.
Online Course Requirement
Matsukura Chiaki,Ezura Hiroshi,Ariizumi Tohru
Same as EC31231 and EG60021. A English Program Student who had taken EG60021 is not allowed.
Lecture is conducted in English.
Hybrid or Others TBA
(In order to respect for other students, I will define classroom conduct and decorum for learning excellence, lateness, permission to leave the classroom in the midst of the coursework.)
Basic knowledge of biology, genetics, and breeding
Site for Inquiry
Please inquire about the courses at the address below.
Contact person: Chiaki Matsukura,Hiroshi Ezura,Tohru Ariizumi
Email address: email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com
Link to the syllabus provided by the university