Social Development University of Tsukuba
People’s well-being cannot be achieved by economic growth alone, and the important role of social development has became widely recognised in international development practice. This course is offered for students firstly to increase understandings of why and how social development became a main stream of development by learning historical background and development theory. Secondly, we focus on some key concept and practice including human development, capability approach, participatory approach, and social capital. In the latter half of the course, we learn social development in relation to important development topics namely, poverty, human capital, labour and employment, micro finance, social protection, and human rights and human security. With some examples of on-going development programmes, students will discuss significance and applications of social development in practical field, and how we can improve development programmes towards sustainable development.
There are four abjectives in this course.
1. Students understand historical background of the reasons why social development became to be recognised as essential for development.
2. Students can discuss how social development programmes can contribute to eradicate poverty and sustainable development, and what would be an effective programme implementation.
3. Students can disccuss and suggest effective development programmes to social issues we are currently facing.
4. Srudents understand major index and data in development and analyse them to enhance their understandings of development issues.
1. General-propose competence: critical and creative thinking skills, data and information literacy, broad perspective and internationalism.
2. Special competence: understanding international development, analytical skills on international development.
Final exam 100%
Online Course Requirement
Open in even number years.
Identical to BE22451.
Lecture is conducted in English.
Course in 2022. Biennial Course (offered in odd years)
Site for Inquiry
Please inquire about the courses at the address below.
Contact person: Midori Matsushima
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to the syllabus provided by the university